Skip to main content Skip to secondary navigation
World map

Non-Stanford Study Abroad Opportunities

Main content start

BOSP advises current Stanford students on the policies and procedures for participating in a non-Stanford Study Abroad Program and can sign study abroad approval forms.

While credit is guaranteed on Stanford-operated overseas programs, it is not guaranteed on non-Stanford study abroad programs. There are no approved programs. At this time, pre-approval for non-Stanford study abroad transfer credit is not possible. Non-Stanford study abroad programs refer to all academic programs offered overseas by other U.S. higher education institutions, third-party providers, or through direct enrollment in overseas institutions. Students considering non-Stanford programs should carefully read the Stanford University transfer credit policy conditions prior to committing to their participation.

Where to Begin

Not sure how to start when considering studying overseas on a non-Stanford program?

  • Review  University policies and procedures.
  • Make an appointment to speak with a non-Stanford Programs Advisor if you have questions about the process.

Study Abroad Approval Forms

Most non-Stanford study abroad programs require a home institution’s approval to study abroad. If yours does, BOSP can assist you with this. It will take BOSP at least 4-5 business days to process your study abroad approval form.

Transfer Credit

Academic work completed at another institution can be considered for credit if all Stanford University transfer credit policy conditions are met.

Stanford may award credit for coursework completed at U.S. and international colleges or universities. Undergraduate students may use transfer credits towards their overall university graduation requirements, major/minor requirements, and other degree requirements. Please refer to the Undergraduate Transfer Credit for more information.