Paris Language Prerequisite
All students in the Paris program are expected whenever possible to speak French with their peers, the staff & instructors at the center, at Stanford course excursions, at group meals, and with their host families. This effort is essential in order to contribute to true cultural immersion within the program, and to improve language skills while overseas.
- Participants must have either completed FRENLANG 3 or FRENLANG 2A or provide results of a recent placement test (taken within the previous 10 months) that demonstrates an equivalent result. Students who have taken FRENLANG coursework at Stanford should not take a placement test, as you will be placed according to the last FRENLANG coursework completed .
- In winter quarter, the language prerequisite is waived for STEM students participating in one STEM course being offered. (Students participating in the STEM track will be required to enroll in an appropriate level French language course in Paris).
- STEM courses being offered during winter quarter 2022-23 are OSPPARIS 53: Electricity, Magnetism and Optics with Laboratory (pre-req: Physics 21 or 21S), and OSPPARIS 66: Food Consumption and Production in and around Paris.
- Preference will be given to students with additional language study.
Stanford Language Center
- All students, including native speakers, are expected to demonstrate their level of language ability (writing, verbal and reading) by providing results of a recent language placement test or previous coursework. For students requiring a placement test, please click here for the placement test schedule. For students taking a placement test, please complete the written exam before the time of your oral interview. For any questions, please contact the Language Center (firstname.lastname@example.org) with "BOSP" specified in the subject line.