Resources for BOSP Florence Students
Travel, Diversity, and Wellness Resources for Students Studying in Florence
Diversity and Identity Resources
Students should understand that conditions at overseas locations are different and they can present difficulties and challenges not encountered on Campus. Students should be prepared for a varying level of lodging, lack of amenities, a new climate, new foods, and having less privacy and personal space than they are used to on the home campus.
While in Florence, it is important to consider personal identity and how it might fit within Italian culture. We believe that all individuals have the right to study abroad, but we also believe that everyone has a responsibility to understand the challenges that they might face abroad as a cultural outsider. It is wise to try and understand the culture, customs, and expectations so as not to find oneself in an uncomfortable or even a potentially dangerous situation. It is important to be open and learn about the host culture as much as possible on a daily basis. It will help in ensuring a successful and rewarding experience here!
- Diversity Abroad focuses on raising awareness among students from diverse economic, educational, ethnic, and social backgrounds in order to provide equal access to study abroad.
- Italian Antidiscrimination Office (UNAR): If you are a victim or witness of discrimination and you need help you can contact the UNAR call center 800901010.
It’s important to know as much as possible about LGBTQ+ culture in Italy in order to have a positive and successful experience in Florence. For LGBTQ+ students, this includes understanding the country’s laws and culture toward sexual identity. Below are some good resources to consult and to garner information on the status quo in Italy and in Florence.
International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (includes LGBTQ+ information by country)
- IREOS Firenze – Comunità Queer Autogestita
- The focus of IREOS is on issues such as culture, health, wellness of the LGBTI+ population in Florence and Tuscany, furthermore, it focuses on the processes of self-help, self-management, and empowerment of LGBTI+ people in our community.
- Azione Gay e Lesbica is an NGO working for equality, dignity, rights and quality of life of lesbians and gays.
In order to have a positive and safe experience abroad, during your time in Florence, whether traveling independently or in a group, it is important to know the culture, laws, and social issues regarding women.
Stanford Campus-Based Services
Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
CAPS is available to help students who experience a wide variety of personal, academic and relationship concerns.
Tel. 650-723-3785 (24 hours)
Confidential Sexual Assault Resources
Tel. 650-725-9955 (24 hours)
The Bridge Peer Counseling Services
While abroad students have access to The Bridge Peer Counseling Center, which offers 24/7 anonymous counseling to members of the Stanford community
The Bridge began in 1971 primarily as a student-run drug-counseling center. Since then, it has evolved into a general peer counseling, workshop, and support center for Stanford University and the surrounding area. The Bridge Peer Counseling Center is a community of staffers, coordinators, and live-in counselors who receive ongoing training and evaluation. The Bridge can be reached via Skype using an account set up specifically for study abroad students.
Instructions for calling
- Log into Skype:
- The Bridge’s phone number is listed as a contact, click on the green call button (audio only)
- Let the counselor on call know from which abroad program you are calling from, and continue.
- English-Speaking Psychological Services in Florence
We have a team of English-speaking mental health professionals available to students.
- Alcoholics Anonymous
St. James, Via B. Rucellai 9, Firenze
Tel: Tess +393468698803
Meetings open on request (non-alcoholics are requested not to share)
- Drug and Alcohol Addicts Helpline (Ser.T)
Ser.T Presidio Piazza del Carmine 17, Tel: +39 0556939891
Ser.T Presidio Lungarno Santa Rosa 13, Tel: +39 055693566